The Little Italy was created by Audrey Saunders in 2005 as a way to highlight the use of Rye Whiskey. Rye had been an under appreciated spirit, with only a couple of brands available, until Audrey made it a focus of hers at her bar the Pegu Club in New York.
- 2 ounces rye whiskey (Rittenhouse)
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth (Martini & Rossi)
- 1/2 ounce Cynar
- Garnish: Luxardo maraschino cherry, plus just a little bit of the syrup.
Stir with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.
As with almost all of the drinks created by Audrey Saunders, the specific brand of ingredients is important. This recipe was calibrated to use Rittenhouse Rye, Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, Cynar, and Luxardo maraschino cherries. Substitutes are not recommended.
- The Making of an Iconic Cocktail (PunchDrink.com)
- The Return of the Rye: Say Hello to Little Italy (TheWhiskyPedia)
- Little Italy Recipe (Imbibe Magazine)
- Little Italy Recipe (FoodAndWine.com)
- Little Italy Recipe (PunchDrink.com)
- Little Italy Recipe (DrinkBoy.com)
- Little Italy Video (YouTube: Cocktail Spirit)
- Little Italy Recipe (Diffords Guide)