From Chanticleer Society
APPLEJACK COBBLER (1 GALLON) (REV 12.5.15)
- 8 cups - Lairds Applejack (NOT Bonded)
- 2 cups - Punt e Mes
- 2 Cups – Schonauer preferred (or Berentzens) Apple Schnapps
- 4 Cups – Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce (4 cups / = 2 BAGS see below recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons (which equals 1 tablespoon per each bag of Cranberry) BRAGG’S Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV- (this ingredient is a new addition)
- 14 oz - Florida Natural or Tropicana Orange juice (DO NOT use fresh-squeezed OJ, it doesn’t have enough sugar, and is inconsistent in flavor).
8 24 Dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 -bottle (14 ounce) Al Wadi Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 - 16 oz Bottle Fiji water (for dilution)
Cranberry Sauce Recipe
(This is the same recipe that is on the back of the bag of cranberries)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 12-oz. Bag Ocean Spray Cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar per each bag of cranberry
- Follow cooking directions on cranberry package, use a potato masher on cranberries while they are cooking, but do make sure cranberries are cooked through.
- After cranberries are ready, add apple cider vinegar, and stir well to incorporate.
- Then immediately add Applejack, Punt e Mes & Apple Schnapps, and zap with stick blender to emulsify cranberry pulp. (We pulse with a stick blender at this point because we need to add alcohol to the cranberry sauce in order to prevent it from gelling—but- we don’t want to add too much liquid (which increases the difficulty of capturing the cranberry pulp under the blades).
- Once the liquid is emulsified, now add the OJ, pomegranate molasses, angostura bitters, and ¼ teaspoon (not quarter ounce) of saline solution. Whisk well to blend.
- Add water to batch, and bottle. Fill each bottle only 3/4 to the top. This will provide headspace in bottle so that it has room to be shaken.
- NEW: WITH THE ADDITION OF SALT, THIS RECIPE NOW NEEDS TO REST FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE SERVING
- Garnish with Cape Gooseberry
Audrey Saunders, 2004 Bemelmans Bar
- How to Make Pegu Club's Applejack Cobbler at Home (Serious Eats)
- Applejack Cobbler Recipe (Serious Eats)
- The Applejack Cobbler (video) (Forbes Magazine)
- Applejack Cobbler Recipe (NYT Cooking)