Robert Hess is world-renowned as one of the pioneers of the current cocktail revival, and was included in the list of “The 25 Most Influential Cocktail Personalities of the Past Century” by Imbibe magazine. His first book, “The Essential Bartenders Guide” (published in 2008, Mud Puddle Books), sold more than 30,000 copies in hardback, and is also available in paperback. He is a regular speaker at the Tales of the Cocktail conference in New Orleans and has been involved with this annual event since its inception in 2003. He is a founding member of The Museum of the American Cocktail, along with such cocktail notables as Dale DeGroff, Anistatia Miller, Jared Brown, Ted Haigh, and Phil Greene. He is featured in “A Proper Drink” by Robert Simonson (Ten Speed Press, 2016) as one of the people who played an important role in establishing the craft-cocktail movement.
Robert is also the host and executive producer of an ongoing web video series, “The Cocktail Spirit,” where he has hosted more than 200 short instructive videos that teach the viewer how to make individual cocktails while also providing details on history, technique, and products. This show has had a strong influence on both craft bartenders and the general public alike.
Along with his wife, acclaimed bartender and bar owner Audrey Saunders, he is in the process of establishing an advanced bartender training school that will finally provide bartenders with the same level of product and technical education as chefs get at world-renowned culinary academies.
- Black Feather
- Clipper Ship
- Ding Ho
- Woodsman Sour
- The Museum of the American Cocktail: Pocket Recipe Guide] (editor, author)
- Mixologist: The Journal of the American Cocktail, Volume 1 (editor, author)
- Mixologist: The Journal of the American Cocktail, Volume 2 (editor, author)
- The Essential Bartender's Guide (Hardcover, out of print)
- The Essential Bartender's Guide (Paperback, out of print)
- [DrinkBoy.com Website]
- [The Museum of the American Cocktail]
- The Man Who Taught The World To Mix Drinks, One Video At A Time (Havana Club)
- Robert Hess / Raises toasts to the art of the cocktail (Seattle Times)
- Imbibe Magazine: The Top 25 Most Influential Cocktail Personalities of the Past Century
- "This “technology evangelist” for Microsoft is also something of a cocktail evangelist, reminding the world that cocktails should be made with the same craft and care as gourmet food. He’s a co-founder of The Museum of the American Cocktail and a co-founder of The Chanticleer Society, a website attracting cocktail enthusiasts from around the world. He’s also the brains behind drinkboy.com, the author of The Essential Bartender’s Guide and host of The Cocktail Spirit."