A Posset is a hot drink made from wine or ale mixed with boiling hot milk and seasoned with sugar and spices (such as nutmeg or cinnamon). When the wine or ale is added to the hot milk, this will cause it to curdle. It sometimes also includes eggs.
Note: this needs some better research to try to arrive at both an authentic recipe as well as one that is reasonably easy to make. For the recipe below, I focused on simplicity.
- 4 ounces Milk and/or Cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- grated Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg
- 2 ounces sweet wine and/or ale
Heat the milk, along with the sugar and spices to almost boiling, then add in the wine. Serve in mugs garnished with additional cinnamon and nutmeg.
- The Posset (NYTimes Cooking)
- Posset (Liquor.com)
- Possets (HistoricalFood.com via Archive.org)
- Possets, drugs, and milky effects: A look at recipes, Shakespeare’s plays, and other historical references By Khristian S. Smith (February 7, 2020, via the Folger Shakespeare Library)