The Gin-Gin Mule was created by Audrey Saunders in 2000 while working at Beacon Restaurant in New York NY. It is considered a Modern Classic.
- ¾ oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz S.S.
- 1 ¾ oz Tanqueray Gin
- 1 oz House Ginger Beer
- 1 whole Mint Sprigs
In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint with lime juice and simple syrup. Add the gin, ginger beer, ice, and shake well. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into a 10 ounce ice filled Highball glass. Garnish with a mint sprig, lime wheel, and a small piece of sugared ginger.
(Source: Audrey Saunders)
House Ginger Beer
- 1 gallon water
- 1 pound ginger root, peeled
- 4 ounces light brown sugar or 6 ounces light agave syrup
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- Bring the water to boil in a large pot.
- After cutting the ginger into smaller pieces and place in a food processor. Add a cup of the boiling water to the processer and process until the mixture resembles mulch.
- Add the mixture to the boiling water and turn off the heat. Stir well, cover, and let sit for 1 hour.
- Strain through a fine chinois or sieve, pressing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible (the strained liquid will be cloudy). Then discard the solids.
- Add the lime juice and the brown sugar; stirring to dissolve the sugar, and then allow to cool.
- Transfer to bottles and store in the refrigerator.